Piles in ancient scriptures
Piles or hemorrhoids are swollen and inflamed veins in the rectum and anus that cause painful discomfort and bleeding while passing stools. Weak digestion and constipation are the major causative factors for piles. The ancient medical science of Ayurveda (Science of life) has scripted piles as Arsha which occurs due to faulty dietary habits and sedentary lifestyle. In Ayurveda, piles are categorized into two major types Type 1: bleeding piles (Sraavi Arsha) & Type 2: dry piles (Shushka Arsha).
The faulty lifestyle & dietary regimen weakens the digestion (Mandagni) and leads to the accumulation or stagnation of half-digested food material (Ama) in the form of stool inside, or expelling it before time in the watery or semisolid form. In addition to that, the excessive consumption of junk, spicy, and non-fibrous food vitiates the movement forces (Apana Vayu), which leads to obstruction of stool, ultimately resulting in the formation of Arsha.
Ayurvedic care for Piles
The natural therapy of piles targets the tissues viz. fat tissue (Medas), muscle tissue (Mamsa), and skin including mucous membrane (Tvak) at the anal region, which are the main seats of piles.
The natural therapies for piles promote healthy digestion with the customized diet and lifestyle modifications. In addition to that, Ayurvedic healers emphasize regularizing daily bowel movements along with reducing swelling & inflammation of veins. In Ayurveda, combinations of detoxifying herbs are recommended to cleanse the accumulated Toxins (Ama) along with tailor-made wellness products to enhance digestion.
- As mentioned in Ayurveda, deranged metabolism (Agni) is the basic cause of Arsha. So, time-tested herbs to enhance digestion (Deepaniya Dravyas) by increasing the digestive fire (Agni) and clearing the waste (Malas) of the body (Shrotoshodhak Dravyas) are recommended by Ayurveda.
- Ayurveda recommends certain specific foods and lifestyle habits that help to the balance of the body humors (Tridoshas). This natural solution for piles is helpful without any surgical interventions.
“Natural Ayurvedic care for Piles”
- Improves appetite & digestion.
- Supports the digestive system & excretory system.
- Promotes the easy daily bowel movement.
“Natural appetite promoter”
- Acts as a potent antacid & relieves gaseous distension.
- Natural neutralizer for stomach acidity.
- Restores the muscular function & contractibility of the intestinal wall.
“Natural Ayurvedic care for Piles”
- Natural mild laxatives to regularize bowel mobility.
- Relieves the symptoms of fullness & bloating in the abdomen.
- Promotes assimilation & diffusion of the food.
Home remedies to combat piles
- Fruits like – dried figs, Amalaki, and papaya can act as natural stool softeners which ensure a thoroughly cleansed colon.
- Use soft-cushioned seats, exercise regularly but, avoid heavy exercise.
- Avoid excessive or abnormal sex as it can also lead to aggravation of the symptoms of piles.
Diet for piles
- Eat high fiber rich foods, lots of fresh fruit, vegetables, wholegrain cereals, & pulses (peas, beans, & lentils).
- Drink plenty of water & avoid caffeinated products, like coffee, tea, chocolate.
- Avoid red meat, processed meat, spicy food, especially chilies, bakery products made from refined flour bread, cakes, pastries, pies, and puffs.
Yoga/Pranayama/Exercise for piles
Ashwini mudra/Mulabandhasana Yoga– Contraction and relaxation of specific muscles provide relief from pain, burning, and itching sensation during hemorrhoids. These techniques also rejuvenate and restore normal anal physiology.
Bhastrika/Nadishodhana – These Pranayama exhibit great psychological effects on our minds. These techniques help to release the negative energies and toxins from the body.
Kegel exercises (brisk walking) – These exercises strengthen the muscles in the pelvis and the anal region. These exercises also help to relieve stress, incontinence, and eventually hemorrhoids.