Natural therapies for management of depression & anxiety
Depression is a mental pain. It is passive and is less dramatic than physical pain.
It is insidious and proceeds in a gradual subtle manner but with many harmful effects.
Depression is anger turned inward.
An exuberant soul, sensory organs, and mind should be in harmony in an individual.
Mental health excels when the patho-physiology, bio-elements, digestive fire,
& excreta functions are in perfect balance with nature.
Our ancestors understood depression as “Vishada Roga” which occurs due to the vitiation of air (Vata) circulation and imbalanced psychic energies (Sattva, Rajas, & Tamas). According to the ancient medical science of Ayurveda (the science of life), an individual’s inner fire (Sadhaka Agni) is responsible for processing emotions. A strong inner fire is a provider of “Higher Emotional Intelligence” and under the influence of this inner fire, an individual experiences a consciousness of his/her feelings/thoughts. This inner fire influences SEROTONIN-the happy molecule and when it is weakened, it allows an individual to lose control of his/her emotions/thoughts and gradually leads to anxiety & depression.
The natural solution to eliminate depression
The condition of depression is more like a common cold of the mental health. In 5000 years old medical science (Ayurveda) the natural therapy for depression aims at restoring the SEROTONIN LEVEL in the brain with the help of natural herbs.
The above Sanskrit Shloka from 5000 years old text explains the extract of specific herbs to win over the depression. These herbs strengthen the nervous system (Satvabala), prevent degeneration of tissues (Dhatus), and balance the individual’s inner fire (Sadhaka Agni).
“Maintains homeostasis of all Doshas“
- Pacifies excessive Vatain the nervous system.
- Supports learning, memory, and recall (Dhi, Dhriti, & Smriti).
- Removes toxins that can block mental abilities & increases energy level.
- Relieves stress & promotes blissful sleep.
- Treats memory loss, memory fatigue, anxiety, and depression
Home remedies for depression – Diet for depression
- Consume anti-oxidants rich foods like beta-carotene (apricots, broccoli, and cantaloupe), vitamin C (blueberries, broccoli, grapefruit, & kiwi), and vitamin E (margarine, nuts and seeds, vegetable oil).
- Avoid sugary food & simple carbs (such as cakes and cookies). Take “complex” carbs (such as whole grains) & fruits, vegetables, legumes that have healthy carbs and fiber.
- Tryptophan-rich foods like tuna, turkey, and chicken help in making serotonin. Good sources of healthy proteins include beans, peas, lean beef, low-fat cheese, fish, milk etc.
- Vitamin B12 can be found in all lean and low-fat animal products, such as fish and low-fat dairy products which is good for mental health.
- Eat enough omega-3 fatty acids (walnuts, seeds, & unrefined oils).
Yoga for depression
- Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskara):Surya Namaskara focuses on inhalation and exhalation. It stretches the entire body and channels to allow the flow of various energies.
- Child Pose (Balasana):It has a calming effect on your body and mind and thus fights against anxiety and depression.
- Fish Pose(Matsyasana): Releases hidden sorrows and boosts immunity which is usually compromised during the depression.
Pranayama for depression
- Alternate Nostril Breathing (Anuloma Viloma):It is excellent for neurological and respiratory cleansing/detoxification.
- Bumble Bee Breathing (Bharamari Pranayama):In this breathing style, you make a humming sound which helps in aligning the cellular, emotional, and mental energies.
- Skull Cleaning (Kapalbhati):Facilitates hyper-ventilation of mind, removes negative thought patterns. It stimulates and excites the mind in a healthy way by removing lethargy.